Building a comment system for a static site, part 3
Adding features like antispam, comment replies, and formatting rules to a custom-built comment system.
Building a comment system for a static site, part 2
Creating and implementing a dynamic comment system for a static website using AWS Lambda, API Gateway, and DynamoDB.
Building a comment system for a static site, part 1
Brainstorming a minimum viable product and defining requirements for a dynamic comment system for a static website.
Building a static site with Hugo, Terraform, and AWS
If you're a frequent visitor to my blog, you may notice that it has a very new look as of today. This facelift isn't just cosmetic or just related to any personal disclosures (although I'll admit those played a role) - I've actually changed the framework that the blog runs on from Wordpress to Hugo as part of my exploration of serverless computing and web hosting.
Handling environment-specific parameters in a web hosting environment
One of the big roadblocks that I had to figure out when I was setting up some of my more complex websites was how to get environment-specific parameters to apply across environments. When you have things like different database endpoints, different passwords, even different debug options, it's important that there's an easy process that doesn't add too much complexity to what you're doing.
Avoid duplicate Christmas gifts this year
Last year, my family and I ran into a Christmas gift issue for the first time; my grandfather ended up receiving 2 copies of the same book for Christmas from different people. Since we're pretty spread out geographically and we tend to buy stuff from a lot of different sources, it was an understandable miscommunication.
Open Status Page
Back in 2016, I spent a little bit of time working on a project for some friends. As part of that, I wanted to provide website status monitoring in an easy to digest format. I started out by trying out the New Relic Synthetics monitoring service, but New Relic seemed like a little bit of overkill for what I was trying to do - without the need for server metrics or application metrics, what really was the point?
I’ve been working on some projects off and on for the last few months, and recently I found the time to work on one of them. All told, it only took me a couple hours to put together, but I learned a lot while I did it. I’ll discuss some of those things in a future blog post, as I think they’d be valuable to others working with RESTful API’s that only return XML data.
Zabbix web interface up on GitHub
Just a quick note that I’ve added the Zabbix frontend to a GitHub repository. There’s been a lot of interest in this frontend over the last week or so, and to that end I figured it’d be nice to have a place where we could all get together and work on improving it.
Building a better Zabbix frontend
Recently, I ended up looking into Zabbixas a server monitoring solution. I was very impressed, but I felt that the reporting features left something to be desired; they were very robust, but it was hard to get all the information I wanted on one page.Zabbix’s bulky monitoring screensIt was great for monitoring one server on a screen – giving me history of resource usage in pretty graphs and so on – but there really wasn’t a good way to get a view that would give me all of this information in a compact manner for all of the servers I wanted to monitor, at the same time.
Putting the “fast” back in FastInviter
I’ve been developing a new tool recently. It’s called FastInviter, and is publicly available at both its website as well as in a GitHub repository. I’ve been having a lot of fun developing it, but I hit a big snag along the way that made it seem…well, more like SlowInviter, to be honest.
Updates on personal IT projects
Over the last few blog posts, I’ve talked a lot about what I’ve learned about PHP. I know I’ve probably been getting a bit preachy on the topic, but I wanted to talk a little bit about what more I’ve learned before I move on to other cool stuff. I’ve been working on the gallery application, and finally got it in a working enough state (and added enough functionality) that I feel comfortable making my Bitbucket repository public.